Back pain generally describes an ache most commonly situated in the lumbar (lower back) area of the spine and adjacent tissues. It might be accompanied by burning, tightness, numbness or tingling with the discomfort shooting down the butts and the legs. It is a very common ailment and is frequently brought on by spasm or injury to a muscle, tendon or ligament. However, it might also be caused by conditions like degenerated disc, herniated disc, spinal stenosis, ankylosing spondylitis, scoliosis, compression fracture, spondylolisthesis, spine nerve compression, and so on.
Pain in the back might also be brought on by conditions like kidney illness [stone, infection etc], gynaecological conditions in females, certain chest conditions, fibromyalgia and benign or malignant tumours and so on Low back pain can end up being persistent if the reason for the pain is not correctly dealt with.
Dharma Ayurveda offers comprehensive back pain programs for lasting cure. Treatment will be based on the cause / aetiology of the condition.
Here we will discuss ayurvedic advise in managing the most common cause of back pain [80%] – that is muscle spasm. In 90 per cent of these patients, low back pain from muscle spasm resolves within six weeks with proper management.
1. Posture: Among the most typical cause for backache is poor posture habit. Flexing for extended time, heavy weight lifting, and even standing for very long time in a bad posture can cause lower back pain. Maintain a balanced straight posture of the spine as much as possible at work and at home. This will reduce tension by keeping the muscles, bones and other supporting parts in their natural position.
2. Sitting: Another typical cause is extended hours of sitting. The tension on your lower back while sitting is 40 – 90% more than standing posture. Ensure to get up and stroll a couple of minutes every hour if possible, to eliminate tension accumulating in the structures in the lower back.
3. Regular stretches: Inactive lifestyle can result in weak muscles. Reinforcing and extending the muscles of the upper, mid and low back can assist to ease discomfort and pain. Stretches like knee press, spine twist and forward bend can really be beneficial. Routine strolling for couple of minutes at night might likewise be useful.
4. Heat: Warmth can typically eliminate the tightness in the muscles. So a hot compress or a warm water bag used at the back, soaking in a hot tub or jacuzzi or a steam bath can be a reliable method to eliminate a hurting back. Ayurvedic hot fomentation [kizhi] and hot oil treatments [abhyanga and kadee vasthi] can be extremely handy in easing discomfort and tightness.
5. Purgation: Constipation and poor bowel movements can aggravate / precipitate back issues. Daily purgation [virechana] with castor oil has been found very beneficial in back ache. Medicated enema [vasthi] is considered very effective treatment for immediate relief in backache but need to be done under expert medical supervision.
6. Hydrate: Consume a minimum of 2 litres of water daily. Dehydration can trigger back muscle discomfort and spasm. Furthermore water will assist preserve a healthy pH which helps in eliminating inflammation.
7. Good sleep: Proper restful sleep can be very helpful aid in back pain treatment. The client ought to rest in a position that will correct the lower back, such as on the back with the knees supported in a bent position by a pillow, or resting on the side with the head supported by a pillow and a pillow between the thighs. A firm bed mattress is recommended.
8. Maintain healthy weight: Being obese puts additional stress on the spine. Preserving right body weight assists in preventing backache.
9. Muscle relaxant/ anti inflammatory: If the pain is severe, it may be a good idea to apply an anti inflammatory muscle relaxant cream or a liniment. You could also try Sallaki a herbal medicine available in tablet and capsule form to take internally.